Loading articles...

Terry Fox runs being held across the country today

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – Hundreds of thousands of people in dozens of countries around the world are hitting the streets today for the 32nd annual Terry Fox Run.

“[It’s] an important time of year of sharing Terry’s story and doing our part to continue what he started in raising money for cancer research,” says Terry’s brother, Fred Fox.

He says it’s tough not having Terry or their mom Betty alongside him, but the hundreds of millions they have raised for cancer research makes all the difference.

“We’re making discoveries every year, every day almost in regards to cancer research, and that’s what Terry wanted. So the money is going to great use. People are surviving and living longer than they ever have before,” Fred adds.

When Terry was diagnosed, he was told he had a 20 per cent chance of surviving cancer. That number now stands at 80 per cent.

“I speak to people every day that maybe didn’t survive cancer, but before they passed away, they were so happy that they were given an extra couple of years or months to be with their family.”

Fred is optimistic a cure will be found one day, adding researchers are continually making great strides.

To date, the Terry Fox Foundation has raised around $600 million for cancer research.

Terry Fox Run Vancouver Locations:

Ceperly Park at edge of Lost Lagoon within Stanley Park. Registration is from 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., with the run starting at 10:00 a.m. You can take part in the 10km or 3km event. Route is suitable for bikes, wheelchairs/strollers and rollerblades. Dogs on leash welcome.

Camosun Park, 16th Avenue & Discovery Street. Registration is from 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., with the run starting at 10:00 a.m. You can take part in the 10km or 5km event. Route is suitable for bikes, NOT suitable for wheelchairs/strollers or rollerblades.