VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – The BC Coroners Service is confirming actor Cory Monteith died from a heroin and alcohol overdose.
The cause of death was confirmed with autopsy and toxicology testing.
The 31-year-old was found dead in his room at the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel in downtown Vancouver on Saturday.
He had checked into the hotel on July 6th and was due to check out on the 13th.
When he missed his check-out time, hotel staff went into his room and found him.
The Coroners Service says it will continue to investigate but adds that at this point there is no evidence to suggest Monteith’s death was anything other than a most-tragic accident.
Cst. Brian Montague with the Vancouver Police Department says the police investigation has been concluded, unless new information is released.
Montague says police will not investigate where Monteith got the heroin that killed him. “There are provisions in the Criminal Code, like criminal negligence, there’s a duty to provide the necessities of life. Our investigation shows Mr. Monteith was alone at the time he died and the factors involved in his death wouldn’t be relevant to an investigation of that sort.”
A candlelight vigil will be held outside of the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel on Friday at 8 p.m.