Loading articles...

Family of five treated for carbon monoxide poisoning in Vancouver

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – Five people, including three children are in the hospital, being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Vancouver Fire and Rescue crews were called to West 34th Avenue at Trafalgar around midnight; when they arrived, they found the group on the front steps of the home, semi-conscious and confused.

They were taken to the hospital.

Firefighters shut down the gas in the home, conducted a search, and ventilated the building using fans.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless poisonous gas that can be deadly. Fire crews recommend CO alarms outside sleeping areas and on every level of the home. They should be tested at least once a month.

You should always move a car outside before warming it up and make sure the exhaust pipe isn’t blocked.

Debris from your dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace vents should be cleared. Generators should only be used outdoors, away from windows, doors, and vent openings.