Loading articles...

Maple Batalia's family gathering the community in her honour; anniversary of her death approaches

Maple Batalia. (Source: Facebook)

Nearly four years since SFU student Maple Batalia was shot to death in the university parking lot

SURREY (NEWS 1130) – It’s been nearly four years since an SFU student was gunned down in the university’s parking lot in Surrey, but there is no end to the grieving.

Family and friends are getting ready to once again honour the life of Maple Batalia.

There have been several memorials for Batalia since September 28th, 2011, reminding the community of the life that was taken too soon and calling for justice.

This year, Batalia’s family is holding nearly three days of prayer at a temple in Surrey.

Batalia’s mother, Sarbjit, tells NEWS 1130 anyone is welcome at the Gurdwara Sahib Dasmesh Darbar starting around 9:30 a.m. tomorrow.┬áIt goes day and night until around 10 a.m. Sunday.

Sarbjit says people will also be encouraged to sign a petition calling on the provincial and federal governments to make changes that would focus on victims — including more resources so cases can be scheduled and rescheduled as quickly as possible — and more victim support services like counselling.

“Not [just] for us — it’s for all Canadians. [There are] so many cases, like Maple — the Bahia family, Poonam Randhawa — so many Canadian people… it’s painful after innocent people’s deaths, and there is not too much support service for counselling,” says Sarbjit.

“For four years on Monday, we are still waiting for justice… We’d like to change something in the justice system. That’s why I request that all Canadians please sign this petition… It’s hard [for] us. But if all Canadians are with me, then we can do something… It’s for the community,” she adds.

Batalia, 19, was an aspiring dermatologist, model, and actress. She was shot after a late-night study session.

Her ex-boyfriend, Gurjinder “Gary” Dhaliwal is charged with first-degree murder. Another man, Gursimar Singh Bedi, is charged with manslaughter and accessory after the fact.

They were supposed to go on trial earlier this year — they’re now set to be tried in January.