Loading articles...

Province to announce next phase of Massey Bridge Project

An artist's rendering of the Massey bridge (Source: flickr @bcgovphotos)

RICHMOND (NEWS 1130) — A planned announcement on the George Massey Tunnel Replacement Project is news to Richmond’s Mayor.

Malcolm Brodie told NEWS 1130 neither he nor the City were notified about the Ministry of Transportation’s Wednesday announcement.

“Of course we don’t know what the announcement is going to be but we really have been left out in the dark in so many ways,” said Mayor Brodie. “I think that it’s an unfortunate way to treat a civic partner.”

Richmond is one of the biggest stake holders in a plan to replace the tunnel with a new eight-lane bridge on Highway 99 that would connect the community with Delta.

He stands with many in hoping Wednesday’s announcement will be a long awaited business plan.

“We’re hoping the plans will be some coherent plans for the financing, will it involve tolling, how that’s going to impact on the Alex Fraser Bridge. There’s just a whole range of questions that have to be answered.”

The estimated $3 billion project, is slated to be finished by 2022 but a detailed project scope, due at the end of last year, still hasn’t been seen.

“We know that construction is supposedly going to start in 2017 so they’ve got to release the plan soon, other than just a few videos that were originally released and just a few sketchy details since then.”

In 2013 Premier Christy Clark announced that the tunnel would be replaced with a new bridge.

Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Todd Stone will announce the next phase in the George Massey Tunnel Replacement Project at 9 a.m. Wednesday.