Loading articles...

Abbotsford students return to school after random deadly stabbing

Last Updated Nov 7, 2016 at 12:19 pm PST

(Mike Lloyd, NEWS 1130 Photo)

Less than one week since a 13-year-old girl died after being stabbed in her school

The accused is expected in court today

ABBOTSFORD (NEWS 1130) – It’s a difficult day for students, staff and parents of Abbotsford Senior Secondary School as kids return to the class for the first time since last week’s random double stabbing that left one girl dead and another injured.

Letisha Reimer died on November 1st after being stabbed in her Abbotsford school.

Counsellors and mental health experts are on hand as students will be taking part in just a half-day.

Curtis Pope’s son Dylan is a student at the school and admittedly says it’s a little scary that the kids are going back. “You’re worried about the kids and how they’re going to handle things knowing what’s gone on there. I know that the school is offering all kinds of help for the kids and what not but still you have concerns for the kids and how comfortable they’re going to feel in school.”

He adds his son has been quite sad since last Tuesday’s events. “It’s been sombre. He doesn’t know either of the girls that closely, but it’s classmates, it’s people the same age… there’s definitely some apprehension.”

Dylan, who is in Grade 9, says he doesn’t know how he’ll feel walking the halls again, but he does know what he’ll do before he leaves his home every day. “Probably give my parents a great big hug.”

It was just after 2 p.m. on November 1st when police were called to the school. Once inside they found the suspect in this double stabbing subdued by staff. Nearby was 13-year-old Letisha Reimer who died of her injuries and her friend who was rushed to the hospital in serious condition.

Police have released a CCTV image of 21-year-old Gabriel Brandon Klein taken at a liquor store near the school just hours before the attack.

Homicide investigators release an image of Gabriel Klein taken just hours before the attack at Abbotsford Senior Secondary School.

He has been charged with second-degree murder and aggravated assault but police are hoping to speak to anyone who knows anything about his whereabouts before the stabbings.

Gabriel’s court appearance this morning was delayed because he apparently refused to leave his cell or speak with a lawyer. Eventually, he was brought out but he didn’t speak. He’s due for another court appearance in Surrey on Wednesday.

Anyone with information about Klein is asked to call the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team at 1.877.551.4448.