Loading articles...

Manhunt continues to find main suspect in Istanbul attack

Last Updated Jan 3, 2017 at 7:44 am PDT

A police officer looks a photographs of the victims displayed a day after an attack at a popular nightclub in Istanbul, Monday, Jan. 2, 2017. A manhunt is on in Turkey as authorities work to identify the assailant who killed dozens of people in a crowded Istanbul nightclub during New Year's celebrations Sunday. (AP Photo/Halit Onur Sandal)
Summary

Thirty-nine people killed in New Year's Eve attack at Istanbul nightclub

Mother of two from Ontario is among the dead

ISTANBUL, TURKEY (NEWS 1130) – Turkish authorities have reportedly arrested two foreign nationals at Istanbul’s Ataturk airport in connection with the nightclub terror attack over the weekend. There are few details available about the arrests. A total of 16 people have been taken into custody in connection with the attack so far, however, the manhunt continues for the main suspect.

Police have also released a selfie video that he reportedly took.

The lone Canadian killed in the nightclub attack on New Year’s Eve has been identified as Alaa Al-Muhandis of Milton, Ontario — a mother of two.

Alaa Al-Muhandis is shown in this photo taken from Facebook. Global Affairs Canada has confirmed the Canadian woman killed in an attack on a Turkish nightclub is Alaa Al-Muhandis. She was one of the 39 people killed, most of them foreign tourists, when a gunman opened fire in a popular nightclub in Istanbul during New Year's celebrations. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO - Facebook - Alaa Al-Muhandis *MANDATORY CREDIT*

Meantime, hundreds of people have attended the funeral of a Jordanian businessman who was among the 39 people killed in the shooting at Istanbul’s Reina nightclub.

The funeral for 44-year-old Nauras Assaf, a Christian, was held this morning in the town of Fuheis in central Jordan. Assaf’s wife was wounded in the attack and is recovering in a hospital in Turkey.

Jordan’s ambassador to Turkey, Amjad al-Adayleh, was among those attending the funeral. Al-Adayleh says, “This attack is condemned by all religions, not only by Islam and Christianity.”

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed late Sunday night that a Canadian was among the dead. “We mourn with the people of Turkey today and with all countries who lost citizens in this vicious attack,” Trudeau said in a statement. “We also grieve the senseless loss of a Canadian citizen and remain steadfast in our determination to work with allies and partners to fight terrorism and hold perpetrators to account.”

Thirty-nine people were killed in the attack.