VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – Japan, the United Kingdom and of course Canada will light up the night sky over English Bay in Vancouver this summer for the 27th Celebration of Lights.
The annual fireworks festival will feature concerts and activities throughout the day with fireworks in the evenings on July 29, Aug. 2 and Aug. 5.
— Lasia Kretzel (@lkretzel) March 7, 2017
With Canada celebrating its 150th birthday this year, organizers have launched a new contest where the audience gets to vote on which song each team will start with.
“We’re putting up on the Celebration of Light Facebook page, 10 songs we believe are quintessentially Canadian songs. The top three will be allocated one to each team,” says Co-Chair of the Vancouver Fireworks Festival Society Paul Tilbury. “The music that the fireworks are set to is such an integral part of the show, we thought it was a natural extension to ask the public to vote for their favourite Canadian artist and songs.
List of songs
– Leonard Cohen – Hallelujah
– The Tragically Hip – Ahead By A Century
– Chantal Kreviazuk – Surrounded
– Michael Bublé – Haven’t Met You Yet
– The Weeknd – Can’t Feel My Face
– Celine Dion – River Deep, Mountain High
– Bryan Adams – Summer of ’69
– Shania Twain – Up!
– Justin Bieber – Where Are You Now
– Spirit of the West – Home for a Rest
The contest is open until April 2. Anyone who votes is entered to win two tickets to the reserved seating YVR Observation Deck.
The fireworks begin nightly at 10 p.m. and the winning team will be announced on Aug. 8.