BURNABY (NEWS 1130) – A mother and son remain in hospital with burn wounds after a fire broke out in a Burnaby apartment last night.
Burnaby Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Michael Hurley says they are still looking into the cause of the blaze in the 7th floor suite.
“We believe it started in the kitchen area.”
Apartment fire last night in Burnaby sends two to hospital. Clothing on lawn where they were treated by firefighters shows burn marks. pic.twitter.com/zlpFkxBycU
— Mike Lloyd (@llikemoyd) April 25, 2017
The flames broke out around 9 p.m., forcing the evacuation of the building at Grange Street and McMurray Avenue in Burnaby.
Heavy smoke and flames could be seen coming from a suite about halfway up the building, but crews managed to contain the fire quickly.
“A son and his mother went to hospital with second and third degree burns. I believe their condition has improved at this time, and the son may be released tomorrow. ”
Hurley says it’s still unclear when the people who live in three evacuated suites will be able to go home.
One owner told NEWS 1130 many of the building’s occupants are elderly and some had difficulty during the evacuation.
Restoration crews worked through the night to clear smoke and deal with the damage. Smoke and flames have blackened the outside of the highrise for several floors above the burned suite.