Loading articles...

Woman rescued from Surrey house fire, several pets may be lost

Last Updated Aug 7, 2017 at 5:57 pm PDT

Displaced residents of a home on 128th Street speak to firefighters after an overnight blaze, Aug. 7, 2017 (Hana Mae Nassar, NEWS 1130 photo)

One woman has been taken to hospital for possible smoke inhalation

It's unclear how many animals were trapped inside the four-unit duplex

The cause of the fire is being investigated

SURREY (NEWS 1130) – Surrey fire teams pulled a woman from a burning home on 128th Street near 103rd Avenue early this morning.

The duplex containing four suites went up in flames shortly before 4:45 a.m., according to acting assistant chief Rob Aldcorn.

All eight people living in the home made it out safely. The woman fire crews rescued was taken to the hospital for possible smoke inhalation, but she is expected to be released later today.

Another woman living in a ground-floor unit says she had to break her own window to escape. Fighting back tears, she says she made it out with her cat, but the pair got separated.

“I only had a house coat on, I had no clothes on,” she says, tears streaming down her face. Holding her cat’s crate, she tells NEWS 1130 her feline got spooked once they made it to safety. “I couldn’t hold her, and she got scared so she scratched me and ran off.”

Jacob Todasco has lived in the house for close to ten years with his parents. He says he smelled smoke at first and thought nothing of it, until he heard yelling.

“And I thought that was peculiar and went out of my bedroom and saw smoke billowing so I woke my parents up,” he says. “They decided to take care of all the dogs and whatever, and then I went into my room and got dressed, closed my door, jumped out my window, saw the flames and came back out front.”

While some pets like Todasco’s made it out, firefighters say others could not be accounted for.

“There was a number of pets including dogs and cats… we’re trying to track down how many of those animals were successful in getting out,” Aldcorn says.

He adds investigators have heard reports that the fire alarms in the home were not operating properly, but that has not been confirmed.