OTTAWA (NEWS 1130) – The federal government says it will look for answers, now that we know the US tried to deport the Edmonton terror suspect, but he still got into Canada as an asylum seeker.
Somali native Adbulahi Hasan Sharif, 30, is accused of stabbing a police officers and using a truck to ram pedestrians on Saturday.
We don’t have all the details, but Sharif had been detained and ordered deported by the US back in 2011, but was still able to legally enter Canada as an asylum seeker in 2012.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his government is reviewing why that happened.
“[We are] looking into the whole system and will reflect on whether we need to do things differently in the future than the way they were done in 2012. But the priority is always making sure we’re defending values and rights of Canadians while keeping our community safe.”
The current public safety minister says at the time, there was no information that would have raised red flags.
The Conservatives were in power at the time. Steven Blaney, a former public safety minister in the Tory government, didn’t directly address the case when he was asked.
“We have to make sure that those processes of screening [for those] who want to come here are properly enforced.”
Mounties look to the public for help
The unit responsible for investigating threats to national security is hoping people around Edmonton can help them in their investigation.
The Integrated National Security Enforcement Team (INSET) would like anyone with any video or pictures of the attacks on Saturday to share them with investigators. The RCMP unit says it’s interested in images of the car that’s believed to have hit the Edmonton police as well as the stabbing of that constable.
INSET would also like to look at video or pictures of the U-Haul van used to drive into and hit several pedestrians hurt in this incident.