VICTORIA (NEWS 1130) – It looks like more people from all over the world are coming to BC. The provincial government says the latest international visitor statistics show an increase for the local tourism sector.
The August numbers from Statistics Canada show a 2.3 per cent increase over the same month last year, resulting in almost 18,500 more visitors visiting the province. Year-to-date international overnight stays to BC are up 2.8 per cent, resulting in over 113,000 visitors.
Notable increases for August (over August 2016) include:
- Mexico — up 18.3 per cent
- Germany — up 12.0 per cent
- Australia — up 9.8 per cent
- France — up 4.5 per cent
- United States — up 2.8 per cent
- China — up 2.6 per cent
Notable increases for year-to-date arrivals include:
- Mexico — up 25.4 per cent
- Australia — up 23.0 per cent
- Germany — up 14.2 per cent
- China — up 6.9 per cent
- Japan — up 4.3 per cent
- United Kingdom — up 2.9 per cent
- India — up 1.8 per cent
The province says the tourism industry employees 127,000 people and contributes up to $7.4 billion to BC’s GDP, according to the latest numbers from 2015.