Loading articles...

First responders, strangers pay respects to fallen Abbotsford officer

Last Updated Nov 9, 2017 at 7:48 pm PDT

First responders and members of the public line up to honour Cst. John Davidson. (Lasia Kretzel, NEWS 1130 Photo)

Constable John Davidson was killed on Monday in the line of duty

A GoFundMe page has been set up for the officer's family

ABBOTSFORD (NEWS 1130) – It was a sombre day as an Abbotsford Police officer killed in the line of duty earlier this week is back in the Fraser Valley, escorted there by a long procession of fellow first responders.

This afternoon the streets and highway overpasses from Vancouver to Abbotsford were lined with hundreds of people as the motorcade carrying the body of Constable John Davidson was transported from Vancouver General Hospital to a funeral home in Abbotsford.

The motorcade, which featured first responders from several police forces and fire departments, began shortly before 2:30 p.m. at Vancouver General Hospital.

Related Articles

Man charged with murder in Abbotsford police officer’s death has no criminal record

Police officer killed in Abbotsford shooting described as a hero

GoFundMe page set up for family of Abbotsford officer killed this week

Davidson was killed in the line of duty on Monday. He was shot to death in Abbotsford as police tracked down a suspect linked to reports of a stolen vehicle.

LISTEN: West Vancouver Police Constable Jeff Palmer


LISTEN: Vancouver Police Detective Constable Kate Caprarie


LISTEN: This woman was on Highway 1, overcome with emotion, when she called NEWS 1130


Police have announced that a celebration of life for Davidson will be held at the Abbotsford Centre on November 19th at 12 p.m.. It is open to the public.

A GoFundMe page set up by the Abbotsford Police Union as raised over $72,000; the money will go to help support Davidson’s family.

The 53-year-old officer leaves behind a wife and three adult children. He was originally from the UK, and his law enforcement career spanned 24 years, the last 11 of which were with Abbotsford Police.

Oscar Arfmann, 65, from Alberta has been charged with first-degree murder.