Loading articles...

Alta. boy in life-threatening condition following carbon monoxide leak

Last Updated Feb 4, 2018 at 2:25 pm PDT

(Kayla Bruch, 660 News Photo)

AIRDRIE, Alta. – A young boy was taken to hospital in critical condition when an apartment building in Alberta was evacuated due to hazardous carbon monoxide levels.

RCMP Const. Dan Martin says EMS were called to the complex in Airdrie, just north of Calgary, on Sunday morning for a call about a child in medical distress.

When they got there, they realized carbon monoxide was at hazardous levels and immediately evacuated the 136-unit, four-storey complex.

Stuart Brideaux, a spokesman with Alberta Health Services EMS, says the child was elementary-school age.

Brideaux says an adult was also transported to Alberta Children’s Hospital with the child, but that person’s condition wasn’t life-threatening.

Martin says investigators were still trying to determine the source of the carbon monoxide on Sunday afternoon.