Loading articles...

Protesters block entrances to Vancouver City Hall, force cancellation of council meeting

Last Updated May 1, 2018 at 4:59 pm PDT

Activists inside the City of Vancouver's permit office on May 1, 2018 (Source: Twitter @stopdisplacement)

Photos on social media show activists in City of Vancouvers permit and licence centre, with one standing on a chair

Activists want all units at 58 West Hastings Street to be social housing

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – Protesters blocked the entrances to Vancouver City Hall today, angry about a development proposed for 58 West Hastings.

The activists include the Chinatown Action Group and the Vancouver Tenants Union. Vincent Tao is one of those demanding 100 per cent social housing at 58 West Hastings.

“There are 1,200 homeless on the streets of the Downtown Eastside alone,” he proclaimed to the crowd. “And what is city council doing? What is Mayor Gregor Robertson doing?'”

“Lying!” shouted a member of the crowd. Kell Gerlings was also there protesting.

“The crisis is the over 1,200 people who we’ve heard are homeless in the City of Vancouver. The crisis is the fact that this mayor got into office on the promise of ending homelessness by 2015. It’s 2018 and the crisis is getting worse.”

Editor’s note: The following video contains coarse language


Photos posted social media earlier today show activists in the city’s permit and licence centre, with one person seemingly standing on a chair.

Today’s city council meeting was initially moved to another location. It has since been cancelled.

The City of Vancouver says “Due to protesters continuing to block entrance and exit to City Hall, it is currently not possible to hold a public council meeting.”


Members of the “Our Homes Can’t Wait Coalition” say all 231 units should be set aside for low income earners.

The current plans suggest only a third of the suites will have rents that would make them affordable for pensioners or people living on income assistance.

The City of Vancouver says access to city hall is limited, and if you need help from the city, you should call 3-1-1 or check its social media accounts.