PORT COQUITLAM (NEWS 1130) – Mounties are hoping you can help them find who’s responsible for a series of grass fires in the Port Coquitlam area.
“In a Port Coquitlam greenbelt area that actually could have been very serious,” explains Cpl Michael McLaughlin.
According to the Coquitlam RCMP, bushes, grass and trees have been set on fire in the area of Chine Drive and Dixon Street in past weeks.
The most recent fire was set on May 30, and two others were sparked a week earlier on May 21.
“There were three of those fires, they happened in the middle of the day,” says McLaughlin. “And if anybody saw anything we need to speak to that person. We need to track down who’s responsible for doing this.”
Police are looking at the possibility that the same person, or people, are reponsible for all three of these fires.
“But we are keeping an open mind. It is entirely possible that we have different people responsible for these different fires.”
McLaughlin says it’s possible there could have been “accidental fire” in the area, but adds if that is the case, whoever was responsible should have called 911 and taken ownership.
“We are definitely looking into the possibility that these were deliberately set, and that the person who did them perhaps didn’t realize the danger and the potential criminal ramifications.”
If you have any information about these fires, you’re asked to call the Coquitlam RCMP at 604.945.1550 and quote file #2018-16424. If you’d like to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or head to their website, solvecrime.ca.
“The point is, this is about community safety. As a community we have to watch out for each other, and if you see somebody lighting any sort of fire deliberately, call 911 right away.”