Loading articles...

Hundreds demand change to help stop gang violence in Surrey

Last Updated Jun 14, 2018 at 6:09 am PDT

A June rally organized by Wake Up Surrey attracts hundreds. (Jonathan Szekeres, NEWS 1130 staff photo)
Summary

Public Safety Minister says he will meet with rally organizers to try and find an answer

Many called for more action from the provincial, municipal, and federal governments

SURREY (NEWS 1130) – Less than a month after two young boys were gunned down in Surrey, hundreds came out to rally for an end to violence in the city.

Many of the people gathering in the crowd were parents who just couldn’t understand how something so horrible could happen to a pair of boys that were so young.

Darshan Sharma was one of those who came out. He says he was shocked when he heard a 16-year-old, and a 17-year-old had been killed.

“My reaction was like, stunned. It could have been my kids, you never know right?”

People like Joginder Cheema think parents need to be more involved in their kids’ lives.

“Parents and their young kids, anywhere around 14 to 25, they have to learn on their own, there’s no way around it.”

Many called for more action from the provincial, municipal, and federal governments, to see an end to violence in the community.

Minister of Public Safety Mike Farnworth has committed to meeting with the rally organizers.

“I’ve been approached by some of the organizers about wanting to meet with me, and I’ve said yes.”

There’s no word on when that meeting will happen.