BURNABY (NEWS 1130) – A man charged with murder and attempted murder in a case in Burnaby dating back 12 years has been arrested in South Korea.
In the early hours of January 22, 2006, shots were fired in a parking lot on North Road near Cameron Street. Police found two men who had been shot. One of those men, 19-year-old Shaoxin Zhang, died in the hospital.
The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says they soon learned the suspect took off to Taiwan shortly after the shooting.
“In early 2006, then-28-year-old Lee-Chia ‘Kenny’ Weng, who has now changes his name to Jui-Kai Weng, was charged with second-degree murder and attempted murder in relation to this case. An Interpol red notice was issued for Mr. Weng’s arrest,” says Cpl. Frank Jang with IHIT.
Meanwhile, Huan Sheng “Leo” Tang was convicted in 2008 of obstruction of justice.
“Mr. Weng travelled from Taiwan to South Korea. Now, South Korea has an extradition treaty with Canada, so when the officials in South Korea received that information they located Mr. Weng, he was taken into custody, and the [extradition] process began.”
In Jan.22 2006 Shaoxin Zhang was killed & 2nd male injured in an incident in Burnaby. Man accused in connection w/ his death has been extradited to Canada to face charges in Canadian court. #IHIT is grateful for help from our domestic partners & law enforcement in South Korea pic.twitter.com/DBrALcR0SX
— IHIT (@HomicideTeam) July 23, 2018
IHIT says Weng was arrested in March of this year — he arrived in Vancouver on Friday after his extradition. Jang says this arrest in a 12-year-old case proves you “can’t outrun the arms of justice”.
“Even after this extensive passage of time, law enforcement thorough the world were vigilant and we were looking for him and we finally found him. Now Mr. Weng is here in Canada, and he will face his charges before our courts.”
Weng is scheduled to make his first court appearance July 24.
– With files from Sonia Aslam