PORT MOODY (NEWS 1130) – There has been an early morning fire on Diez Vista Trail near Buntzen Lake.
Fire Chief Jay Sharpe with the Sasamat Volunteer Fire Department says hikers in the area called 9-1-1 around 8:30 this morning.
“They came across an area about two meters by two meters that was showing a bit of flame and smoldering in the ground, so they started to work on it and put it out and obviously called 9-1-1.”
— Sasamat Fire Dept. (@SasamatFire) August 6, 2018
Sharpe says there was no lightning strikes in the area, so this was likely caused by people.
“And it’s always shocking when these things happen because of the conditions people aren’t more careful. So, at this time we don’t know if it was a leftover cooking thing or a cigarette butt, but it was definitely human caused.”
He has a message for hikers.
“When people are on the trails, they have to exercise extreme caution in everything they do. No garbage behind. No cooking. Certainly no smoking products anywhere and just use extreme caution and common sense.”
Sharpe adds the area was very dry and crews had to dig through a layer of pine needles and moss to make sure all the hot spots were doused.