VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – Enbridge says construction crews may soon begin repairs following last week’s natural gas pipeline blast near Prince George. The company says it continues to work on a temporary access road to the site.
An explosion on Tuesday knocked out a 91-centimetre line. Another pipeline is supplying natural gas on a reduced basis.
The blast caused a FortisBC natural gas shortage. On Wednesday, the company said as many as 700,000 customers were at risk of losing their natural gas supply.
The Enbridge Line that ruptured is connected to the Westcoast Transmission System and, indirectly, supplies other provinces, as well. FortisBC emphasized its system is not damaged.
Service has since been restored to all of Fortis BC’s industrial customers. But users across the province still being asked to minimize energy consumption.
“[We are] still asking our customers to conserve until Enbridge has both those pipelines up and operating. Until that time, we still have some constraints on the system,” said Jason Wolfe with FortisBC.
Wolfe adds the Transportation Safety Board’s investigation needs to wrap up before crews can start fixing the larger pipeline.