Loading articles...

Poison mushrooms may be responsible for North Vancouver dog deaths

Summary

Two dogs may have died after eating poison mushrooms in a North Vancouver park

Police don't think the dogs were deliberately poisoned

NORTH VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – At least two dogs have died after visiting a North Vancouver park over the last month.

Mounties say signs have been posted in Cates Park, telling owners to keep their pets leashed – even in off-leash areas – as a precaution.

RELATED: RCMP investigating apparent dog poisoning in North Vancouver

Sgt. Doug Trousdell says several other dogs have become ill.

“There’s a belief that there a poison mushrooms growing in the woods. That is likely, or at least may be the cause of the dogs getting sick and the two dogs dying,” he said.

Police don’t think the poisonings have been deliberate.

“No evidence to suggest it’s a deliberate act,” he says. “Of course, if it is a deliberate, police would be more involved.”

Poisonous mushrooms have not been confirmed as the cause of the deaths, but samples are being tested. If mushrooms are linked to these cases, Trousdell says the matter will be handed over to the SPCA and the district parks department.