VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – Worried parents gathered for an emergency meeting at J.W. Sexsmith elementary school Thursday night in the wake of a six-year-old being sexually assaulted near the school grounds last week.
Members of the Vancouver school board, including board chair Janet Fraser, plus school staff were on hand at the meeting, to reassure parents that children attending Sexsmith are safe.
Concerned parents are meeting right now at Sexsmith Elementary in south Vancouver after it was announced yesterday a six year old girl had been sexually assaulted. @Renee1130 is there. More to come on @NEWS1130.
— BEN WILSON (@benwilson1130) December 14, 2018
One parent told NEWS 1130 he was afraid that an assault around the school could happen again.
“I’m scared that maybe this isn’t the first or last time this will happen,” he says. “I’m really scared.”
He says he would like to see security cameras on the outside of the school.
Another parent says there should be more eyes on the children when they’re playing outside.
“During recess lunch time, there’s only three supervision aids serving breaks, but they’re not enough to look after all the kids,” she says.
This all comes about about a week after a young student was coaxed to come with a stranger off of school grounds during school hours.
Police say she was sexually assaulted and then was taken back to school by the stranger. They are looking for a man with darker skin in his thirties.
Investigators are looking for any dashcam video of the area between West 58th and West 60th Avenues, and Ontario and Cambie Streets taken on December 5th.