Loading articles...

Emergency task force calls for safe supply of drugs in Vancouver to prevent ODs

Last Updated Dec 18, 2018 at 11:55 am PDT

A naloxone anti-overdose kit is shown in Vancouver on Feb. 10, 2017. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward)
Summary

Kennedy Stewart says number of overdose deaths has remained similar to 2017 despite efforts of front-line workers

Stewart formed the task force last month shortly after taking office

The report also calls for $2.7 million in funding from the province and $770,000 from the federal government

VANCOUVER( NEWS 1130) – Vancouver’s mayor says he will direct staff to look for sites where drug users can access safe opioids to prevent overdoses as part of a plan recommended by an emergency task force calling for more services for people who are dying alone.

Kennedy Stewart says the number of overdose deaths has remained about the same as last year despite the best efforts of front-line workers, first responders and health professionals who seem to be fighting a losing battle.

RELATED: Vancouver requests urgent opioid crisis funding as overdose deaths level off

The sites where hydromorphone may be supplied are part of an approved research project involving the B.C. Centre for Disease Control, which had already suggested making the opioid available in vending machines.

Dr. Patricia Daly, the chief medical health officer for Vancouver Coastal Health and a member of the task force, says more people are dying alone in the city than elsewhere in the province because of the high number of single-room occupancy hotels and shelters, and they need alarm systems, apps or other ways to get help.

RELATED: Vancouver approves property tax increase for opioid crisis response

Stewart formed the task force last month shortly after taking office.

“A longstanding mental health and addictions crisis, combined with an increasingly potent and toxic drug supply means that unless we take urgent and bold action now, our friends family and neighbours will continue to die,” Stewart adds.

He says the report, that also calls for $2.7 million in funding from the province and $770,000 from the federal government, will go before city council on Thursday for approval.