OTTAWA (NEWS 1130) – The Trudeau government is quick to react to the news that the National Energy Board has renewed its approval of the Trans Mountain pipeline.
This second approval from the NEB is being called a milestone by the Trudeau government, but it says there is still work to be done.
Parliamentary Secretary to Natural Resources Paul Lefebvre still won’t give a timeline for when shovels will be back in the ground for the stalled project, pointing out the there are 16 new conditions being added with this approval.
“We will review those conditions and see how we can meet them … Meeting them is a priority,” he said.
— Cormac Mac Sweeney (@cmaconthehill) February 22, 2019
The Court of Appeal rejected Ottawa’s approval of the project last year, after it said the board did not adequately consult First Nations or look at the effects of marine shipping.
The board has again given its approval, citing national interest, but also acknowledged the significant environmental risks with the project.
The NDP’s Murray Rankin is disappointed and predicting more lawsuits.
“We’re not going to take that chance. We’re not going to play Russian roulette with our coastline.”