Loading articles...

Southsiders plan second walkout in response to Whitecaps misconduct allegations

Last Updated Apr 26, 2019 at 6:55 am PDT

(via: whitecapsfc.com)
Summary

Southsiders members will be leaving their seats in the 35th minute on Saturday in protest of abuse Whitecaps allegations

This is the second walkout planned by members of the Southsiders, who say 'nothing of substance has changed' so far

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – The largest Whitecaps fan group plans to lead yet another walkout during the soccer club’s MLS match.

The Southsiders are inviting other fans who’ll be at BC Place to join its members in leaving their seats in the 35th minute during Saturday’s match.

The first walkout took place last week on Wednesday, April 17th. It was intended to show support for former members of the women’s team who have brought forward abuse allegations dating back more than a decade, centering on a coach who oversaw the Whitecaps women and U-20 women’s national soccer squads, Southsiders’ Vice President Paul Sabourin-Hertzog told NEWS 1130 last week.

Members of the Southsiders returned to their seats for the 2nd half after staging their initial walkout.

Regarding Saturday’s plans, Sabourin-Hertzog says in an e-mail that members feel “nothing of substance has changed since the last home game.”

Sabourin-Hertzog goes on to say another NEWS 1130 report, on the hiring of a coach previously punished for racism offences, has “revealed yet another black eye on the club.”

The fan group has said it still wants to support the players and staff involved with the Whitecaps, and that the protests staged by the Southsiders are directed at the executive team.