Loading articles...

Surrey RCMP say students won't be back in class after alleged assaults at Fraser Heights Secondary School

Last Updated Jun 5, 2019 at 4:51 pm PST

FILE - RCMP. (Lasia Kretzel, NEWS 1130 Photo)

There are plans for the students involved in the incidents to finish the school year elsewhere

Parents and officials have agreed to alternative punishments rather than criminal charges

SURREY (NEWS 1130) – Students involved in two fights at a school in Surrey won’t be returning to the classroom for the rest of the school year, but likely won’t face charges.

Surrey RCMP say there are plans for the Fraser Heights Secondary students who were involved in incidents on May 31 and June 3 to finish the school year elsewhere, as they’re banned from returning to the high school.

It says on Friday there was a “physical confrontation between a group of teens over a personal conflict.” The staff at the school broke up the fight, but the suspects fled. One of the teens involved is believed to have dropped an imitation air-soft handgun that staff then found in the bushes at the school and police seized.

RELATED: Surrey dad shocked after son attacked at school

On Monday, a teen was allegedly threatened and assaulted on school grounds in relation to the incident on Friday. This incident was not reported to police or the school board, who learned about it the day after when a video of the incident was widely circulated on social media.

Paul Pederson’s son was the victim of that attack, and he says his son was forced to kneel, kiss his attacker’s shoes, and was then kicked in the face.

He says the fight on Friday began over a girl, and escalated on Monday.

“[The kids] didn’t cool down, they just got angrier and angrier over the weekend and then they struck out at whoever they could, which was my son,” Pederson told NEWS 1130.

The Surrey RCMP Youth Unit and the Surrey School District have investigated both incidents, but parents and officials have agreed to alternative punishments rather than criminal charges.