Loading articles...

'Frustrating': police admit challenge in trying to shut down harassment website

Last Updated Jun 18, 2019 at 11:44 am PDT

FILE: Patrick Fox. THE CANADIAN PRESS
Summary

Vancouver police say trying to get a site created to harass a man's ex-wife taken down is proving to be a challenge

Patrick Fox is serving time for harassing his ex-wife

Fox writes in a letter to NEWS 1130 from jail that law enforcement isn't doing anything to shut the website down

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) —¬†Vancouver Police are acknowledging the difficulty of trying to shut down a revenge website set up to harass the ex-wife of a Burnaby man, with the site appearing to have been up for at least three months after initially going offline.

In a letter addressed to NEWS 1130, Patrick Fox — convicted of criminally harassing his ex-wife — writes from a local pre-trial centre that not a single law enforcement agency, probation officer, prosecutor, or court is doing a single thing to try to get the new website shut down.

A portion of a letter written to NEWS 1130 by Patrick Fox, convicted of criminally harassing his ex-wife for creating a revenge website.

Const. Steve Addison with Vancouver Police says that isn’t the case, but getting the site taken down is proving a challenge.

“Detectives from our domestic violence and criminal harassment unit are aware of this file and they are investigating it,” says Addison.

“Every criminal investigation and complaint is assessed when it’s reported to us, and it’s prioritized. They are prioritized based on public risk. Our domestic violence and criminal harassment unit investigates some of the highest risk cases in the city and our number one priority is always public safety.”

RELATED: Man previously convicted of harassing ex-wife with revenge website denied bail

When asked about Fox’s claim that law enforcement isn’t doing anything about the website, Addison says police believe the site does not pose a significant public risk or a significant risk to Fox’s ex-wife — but insists the department is attempting to have the site taken down.

“We’re aware of the website, we’re investigating it, and we’re looking at our options for having it shut down,” says Addison.

RELATED: Burnaby man convicted of harassing ex-wife through revenge website charged again

“It’s complex, because of the fact we’re dealing with international internet companies and web hosting companies. We just can’t command that it be taken down. Yes, it’s frustrating, it’s on our radar, it’s something that we are investigating, and we’d like to get it resolved.”

Last week, Fox lost his appeal of his guilty verdict and the sentence handed to him for criminally harassing his ex-wife, who lives in the U.S.

He is now accused of violating the conditions of his probation and will be tried in August.