Loading articles...

Stanley Park fire likely caused by tossed cigarette butt, says Vancouver Fire

Last Updated Jul 9, 2019 at 7:47 pm PDT

(iStock Photo)
Summary

An early morning fire in Stanley Park on July 9 was likely caused by a cigarette butt

Vancouver Park Board rangers found the fire and quickly called the Vancouver Fire Department

Tossing cigarette butts to the ground can warrant a $500 fine

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – All it takes is a single cigarette butt carelessly tossed away in a vegetative area to start a fire.

This from the Vancouver Fire Department after a lit butt was found to be the likely cause of an early morning fire in Stanley Park on July 9.

Cpt. Jonathan Gormick says that Vancouver Park Board rangers discovered the fire and quickly called Vancouver Fire.

“It is pretty frustrating,” says Gormick. “Firstly, a fire that’s entirely preventable and secondly, in an area that is so vulnerable and it’s just probably been a matter of luck that we haven’t had a large incident in Stanley Park.”

RELATED: Watch where you stub out that smoke: Crews warn of increased fire risk as temperatures rise

He is thankful rangers reacted so quickly as he says, this could have been a lot worse.

“This is just another reminder how dry the vegetation is right now, and it’s a bit of a reminder of how fragile Stanley Park is,” he says.

Gormick also says for anyone thinking of flicking their finished cigarettes to the ground, they could face a $500 fine.