Loading articles...

Drone battery that burst into flames likely cause of Chilliwack house fire

Last Updated Jul 10, 2019 at 10:34 pm PST

(Source: iStock)

CHILLIWACK (NEWS 1130) — A battery for a drone is likely the cause of a house fire in Chilliwack late Wednesday afternoon.

According to the Fire Department, someone had put a lithium polymer drone battery on it’s charger, and then left the house. When they came back about an hour later, they saw black smoke and heard the blaring of the smoke alarm, and called 911.

It all happened on Campbell Road not far from Highway 1 around 4:45 p.m

Crews eventually doused a small flame on top of a desk where the charger was kept, and nobody was injured.

The home has some smoke damage, and some things in the bedroom have some minor fire damage

The fire department is recommending people use batteries specifically designed for their devices, and to closely follow instructions when charging lithium batteries. You’re also being reminded not to leave the battery unattended while its charging in case it overheats, and not to leave batteries charging on a combustable surface.