Loading articles...

Jacob Hoggard sexual assault case to be heard by judge and jury if it goes to trial

Last Updated Jul 11, 2019 at 1:58 pm PDT

Toronto police charged the frontman of Hedley, Jacob Hoggard, with three sexual offences involving two women. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Toronto Police Service
Summary

Jacob Hoggard has pleaded not guilty to two counts of sexual assault causing bodily harm and one count of sexual interfe

The Hedley frontman was arrested and charged last summer after allegations of sexual misconduct emerged

TORONTO – The sex assault case of Hedley frontman Jacob Hoggard will be heard by a judge and jury if it goes to trial.

Hoggard, who was in a Toronto court for a two-day preliminary hearing, made the request through his lawyer. He also pleaded not guilty to two counts of sexual assault causing bodily harm and one count of sexual interference.

RELATED: Hedley frontman Jacob Hoggard charged with sexual interference, sex assault

The preliminary hearing will determine whether the case goes to trial. There is a publication ban on any evidence presented at the hearing.

Hoggard was arrested and charged last summer after allegations of sexual misconduct emerged. Toronto police have said the charges relate to three separate incidents involving a woman and a girl under the age of 16 that allegedly occurred in the Toronto area in 2016.

RELATED: Hedley’s Jacob Hoggard gets married in Vancouver, amid sexual assault case

Hoggard, 35, has previously denied engaging in non-consensual sexual behaviour, but has said he acted in a way that objectifies women.

Allegations of sexual misconduct emerged before the charges were laid, which prompted Hedley to go on an indefinite hiatus.

Hoggard got married in Vancouver earlier this year amid the sexual assault case.

Hedley’s Jacob Hoggard gets married in Vancouver, amid sexual assault case