Loading articles...

Case of Langley teen's suspected overdose stirs up feelings for father of woman killed in Mission

Last Updated Aug 22, 2019 at 12:42 pm PDT

This photo, of Carson Crimeni, was posted by GoFundMe organizer Julie Nakahara on the fundraising website. (Source: GoFundMe/Julie Nakahara)

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – The overdose death of a Langley teen is bringing back memories for a man whose daughter was killed over a decade ago.

This comes as we learn Mounties were called to the Walnut Grove Skate Park, but couldn’t find Carson Crimeni. The Independent Investigations Office said on Wednesday that it was looking into whether the officers’ “actions or inaction may have played in the incident that followed.”

Mark Surakka’s daughter, Lisa Dudley, was shot in a Mission home in 2008 where she laid dying for four days.

Police were also called in that case to investigate reports of shots being fired, but didn’t get out of their vehicle.

Surakka says Carson’s case has so many unknown parts, and he feels for the family.

“It does bring to the fore what happened to Lisa, of course it does,” Surakka said.

He says he has no doubt Carson’s family probably has many questions as they deal with the heartbreak of losing the 14-year-old.

Surakka says he doesn’t judge the officers in Carson’s case, but adds that over a decade later, his family is still learning new information about Lisa’s death.

“For instance, in the coroner’s inquest, we found out 10 years later stuff that we should have known way back when,” he explained.

He hopes the Crimeni family will get answers sooner than later.

“It’s not even over for us now. It’s a cascade — my heart goes out to that family, because they don’t know what’s happened yet.”

Carson died on August 7. A memorial still lines the skate bowl at Walnut Grove Skate Park, where members of the community continue to leave flowers and candles weeks after the boy’s death.

Videos of the teen filmed in the short time before he died were circulated online, and showed other teens taunting and laughing at Carson while he was soaked in sweat, twitching, and incoherent.

Family and friends were devastated that people appeared to post to social media instead of calling for help as Carson’s condition deteriorated.