Loading articles...

Amber Alert cancelled, search still on for five children allegedly abducted by father in Niagara

Last Updated Oct 2, 2019 at 12:42 pm PST

Summary

Five children have allegedly been abducted by their father in the Niagara Region in Ontario

An Amber Alert had been issued for the five children, but has since expired

The search continues for the children; police say they are still concerned for the children's safety

UPDATE: The five children and their father have been found safe. 

—-

An Amber Alert has been cancelled for five children allegedly abducted by their father in Niagara Region, but police said they are still looking for the children and remain concerned for their safety.

The alert was issued around 5 p.m. local time on Tuesday and was cancelled just after 10 p.m.

The three girls and two boys are believed to be with their father, a 49-year-old man. Niagara police said they were reported missing within the last 24 hours by Family and Children’s Services of Niagara.

Police said the family used to live in the Toronto area, so they may be headed there.

As of 5 p.m. on Tuesday, the father was seen in the Camry in the Niagara area but the children were not with him at the time.

It’s believed he took the children from their family home between Sept. 19 and 25 in Jordan, Ont., and their current whereabouts are unknown. The children are subject to a temporary custody order and their father is allegedly in contravention of the order by failing to return them.

Niagara police said the alert was cancelled because it expired.

“The Amber Alert has an expiration period meaning the active messaging by the Amber Alert system stops,” police said. “The Amber Alert completed its goal in notifying the community and bringing attention to the matter. It is then the responsibly of the respective police service to continue to raise the alarm and put out messaging.”