Loading articles...

Unattended cigarette may be cause of Montreal fatal fire that left two dead, three hurt

Last Updated Nov 9, 2019 at 12:43 pm PST

FILE - A person smokes a cigarette in downtown Ottawa on Sept. 29, 2009. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Pawel Dwulit
Summary

An unattended cigarette is the cause of an apartment fire in Montreal Friday night

The fire left a woman and her eight year old girl dead

MONTREAL — Police say an unattended cigarette might be what sparked a fire in a Montreal apartment that has left a woman and an eight-year-old girl dead.

The fire broke out about 11 p.m. Friday in a single apartment in a 51-unit building in Lachine, in western Montreal.

Montreal police say the deaths of the woman, 40, and the eight-year-old girl were pronounced in hospital.

Three other minors — a five-year-old girl and two boys, 13, were taken to hospital.

Police say the five-year-old girl remains in critical condition today.

Const. Jean-Pierre Brabant says investigators are working with a hypothesis that a cigarette sparked the fire.

He says investigators are still combing the scene for evidence with crime scene technicians.