TORONTO – A seventh case of the novel coronavirus has been confirmed in Ontario.
The province’s chief medical officer of health announced the new diagnosis on Friday. The patient has been identified as a man in his 50s who arrived in Toronto on Tuesday and who had a travel history to Iran.
The man apparently went to a Toronto-area emergency room the day after arriving in the city, and has since been discharged and sent into self-isolation at home.
Ontario health officials say the province now has a seventh confirmed case of the novel coronavirus. The province's chief medical officer of health says the newest patient is a man in his 50s who had travelled to Iran. He's now recovering at home in self-isolation. https://t.co/q2mefnwOgz
— Mike Lloyd (@llikemoyd) February 28, 2020
This is the 14th confirmed case of COVID-19 in Canada, not including people who were placed in quarantine after arriving on evacuation flights from Japan and China.
Seven cases have been confirmed in B.C. so far as Quebec announced its first presumptive positive case of the new coronavirus on Thursday.
The new case was reported the same day the World Health Organization raised its global risk of virus spread and impact from “high” to “very high.”
As more infections were being reported day-by-day, the head of the WHO reminded the public that containment of the new coronavirus starts with you.
“Our greatest enemy right now is not the virus itself. It’s fear, rumours, and stigma. And our greatest assets are facts, reason, and solidarity,” Director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.
You are also being urged to wash your hands regularly, not touch your face, and to educate yourself.
Ghebreyesus said your risk of getting the new coronavirus.