LOS ANGELES (NEWS 1130) — On top of having one of its ships stuck at sea due to a COVID-19 outbreak, another Princess Cruise ship is stuck in port.
Thousands of people hoping to sail to Mexico abroad the Royal Princess has been told that their trip has been called off.
The ship has been held at the Los Angeles post becuase one of the staffers onboard previously served on the Grand Princess.
That ship was stuck off the coast of San Francisco for several days due to a COVID-19 outbreak, which includes 237 Canadians held onboard.
Princess Cruiselines says the US Centre for Disease Control issued a no-sail order for the vessel Saturday evening until the crew member was tested for COVID-19.
“The crew member is past the maximum incubation of COVID-19, has been evaluated and has never developed any respiratory symptoms or fever. The crew member had no known contact or exposure to other guests or crew who were ill on Grand Princess,” a Princes Cruise tweet reads.
The crew member received a precautionary screening by the Medical Staff upon boarding Royal Princess to test for respiratory symptoms, including fever. Due to the unknown timing of obtaining the test and results or anticipated response, we have cancelled the cruise.
— Princess Cruises (@PrincessCruises) March 8, 2020
Princess says it will be giving out full refunds for cruise fees and reimbursing some funds for hotel stays.
The ship holds 3,500 passengers.