VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) — Plans for an annual Vancouver cannabis festival are up in smoke after the province suspended gatherings of more than 250 people.
A statement from the organizers of the 420 protest festival says the event has been cancelled because of Thursday’s direction from Health Minister Adrian Dix.
Festival founder Dana Larsen encourages people to have smaller gatherings in place of the massive one at Sunset Beach.
“For the first time in 25 years there’s not going to be any big gathering on April 20th,” he explains.
1/ THREAD: 420 CANCELLED
We are cancelling Vancouver’s 420 Protest Festival this year.
Today BC health authorities recommended that large public events be cancelled.
We’re really sad to have to do this! pic.twitter.com/ivZH3zH7eg
— Dana Larsen (@DanaLarsen) March 13, 2020
Although the event has rebellious roots, Larsen says it’s crucial to follow the government’s rules in order to prevent any potential spread of the virus.
Last year’s event attracted a crowd of around 100,000.
Larsen encouraging people who would’ve attended the April 20 event to come out on July 1 for “Cannabis Day.”
With files from Renee Bernard.