Loading articles...

Vancouver Vaisakhi parade cancelled because of COVID-19

Last Updated Mar 15, 2020 at 3:53 pm PDT

Vaisakhi in Vancouver (Credit: www.kdsross.com)
Summary

The 2020 parade was scheduled for April 18 and expected to draw more than 150,000 people

This is the latest event to be cancelled in line with government direction to halt mass gatherings

Organizers said the decision was made now so people would not be surprised or disappointed by a last-minute cancellation

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) — An annual Vaisakhi parade that draws over a hundred thousand people to South Vancouver has been cancelled due to concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic.

The 2020 parade was scheduled for April 18.

The Khalsa Diwan Society says the decision was made due to directives against large gatherings from provincial and federal governments.

“Keeping in mind the safety of the public we decided to cancel it because it’s only four or five weeks away. We don’t want people to get ready and do everything and have us cancel at the last minute. Everything else is shutting down so we also made that decision,” says Malkiat Singh Dhami, society president.

According to Dhami, more than 150,000 people were expected to attend the event and this is the first time in 41 years it has been cancelled.

“It’s a very tough decision for us, but the safety of the people is much more important than anything else,”   he says.

“It’s very important for the community, but the community is also very understanding.”

Surrey made a similar move last week.

With files from Bethlehem Mariam