CALGARY (SPORTSNET/660 NEWS) – The WHL is cancelling the remaining 54 games in the 2019-20 regular season as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the league announced Wednesday.
“The WHL takes the safety of our players, officials, staff, fans and everyone associated with the WHL very seriously,” said WHL commissioner Ron Robison in a statement.
The WHL has decided to cancel the rest of its regular season. The Calgary Hitmen had four games left and had already qualified for the playoffs. https://t.co/iL7Ghzzdaj
— 660 NEWS Calgary (@660NEWS) March 18, 2020
“Given the ongoing public health developments regarding COVID-19, we deemed it necessary to cancel the remaining games on the 2019-20 WHL regular season schedule.”
The WHL said the decision was made following a meeting with its board of governors and in consultation with medical professionals.
The league will continue to monitor public health developments with respect to COVID-19 and hopes to schedule the playoffs at a later date.
The WHL will determine final standings using win percentage.
“We thank WHL fans and partners for your patience and understanding during these challenging times,” said the statement.
As per the final standings format, the Calgary Hitmen finish 11th overall (0.586 win percentage). The club had four regular-season games left when action was suspended, and it had qualified for the post-season a number of weeks ago. The team was celebrating its 25th season.
The Portland Winterhawks finish in first place.