Loading articles...

UFC middleweight Ronaldo Souza tests positive for COVID-19

Last Updated May 9, 2020 at 10:57 am PDT

UFC middleweight Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza. (Frank Franklin II/AP)

JACKSONVILLE, FL — Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza has tested positive for COVID-19 and his middleweight bout against Uriah Hall has been pulled from Saturday’s preliminary card at UFC 249, the mixed martial arts promotion company said in a statement.

Souza’s two cornermen also tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

“As per UFC’s health and safety protocols, all three men have left the host hotel and will be self-isolating off-premises, where UFC’s medical team will monitor their conditions remotely and will provide assistance with any necessary treatment,” said a statement from the company.

“From their arrival earlier in the week until their departure today, Souza and his cornermen followed UFC health and safety protocols, including practising social distancing, wearing personnel protective equipment and self-isolating whenever possible.”

UFC 249 will go on as planned and there have been no other positive tests reported from the remaining athletes participating in the event.

ESPN‘s Brett Okamoto reported Souza arrived in Jacksonville, Fla., on Wednesday and told UFC officials that his family member had tested positive for COVID-19. Souza did not have any symptoms, but was isolated and test results came back positive on Friday.