VANCOUVER (NEWS 11130) — With a final decision on which two cities will host the NHL expected in a matter of days, public safety rules might be posing a problem for Vancouver’s bid.
Sportsnet NHL host Jeff Marek says there are few details, but something changed Tuesday night, keeping the deal from closing.
“As it relates to Vancouver specifically, we’re hearing there’s a snag in the talks, and it looks like it’s over quarantine and bubble rules,” he explains.
“[I’m] not exactly sure what those rules are, not sure if those rules also apply to Edmonton or Toronto.”
Marek adds Vancouver was considered to be a front-runner as one of the hub cities.
He says Vancouver is still on the six-location shortlist, along with Edmonton, and Toronto.
At least one sports insider questioned the safety of Vancouver becoming a hub city during the pandemic, suggesting the risks of bringing the league might outweigh the potential economic benefit.
Earlier this month, provincial health officials approved the NHL’s safety plan allowing Vancouver to possibly host once play resumes.
The NHL is supposed to decide on hub cities by the end of the week.