HALIFAX (NEWS 1130) — The federal government says there will be a full public inquiry into the Nova Scotia mass shooting that killed 22 people in April.
Federal Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Bill Blair says in a statement Canadians deserve to understand how something that tragic could happen.
“The situation requires our governments work diligently with all those affected by the tragedy to bring forward the critical answers, and ensure this will never happen again.”
We’ve listened to Nova Scotians. Please see my statement. pic.twitter.com/AZ46POcY4n
— Bill Blair (@BillBlair) July 28, 2020
Blair says the government has heard to calls from the families, survivors, advocates, and Nova Scotia MPs for more transparency.
The announcement comes after recent rallies and protests demanded a public inquiry. On Monday, organizers held a 22-minute general strike to honour the 22 victims who were killed.
Many families have called for information into what happened during the shootings and what led to the rampage.
Earlier Tuesday, Nova Scotia Justice Minister Mark Furey said he would be in favour of a federal-provincial public inquiry if Ottawa agreed to go along.
Blair says the inquiry will be conducted under the authority of the federal Inquiries Act, with powers to summon witnesses and require them to provide evidence and produce documents.
The three people who had agreed to serve on the review panel announced last week will remain as inquiry commissioners: Michael MacDonald, a former chief justice of Nova Scotia, Anne McLellan, a former federal Liberal cabinet minister, and Leanne Fitch, the former chief of police in Fredericton.
During the gunman’s rampage from April 18 to 19, he killed 22 people, including an on-duty Mountie, before police killed him at a service station in Enfield.