Loading articles...

CFL gets boost in bid for federal funding to stage shortened season

Citynews 1130 Vancouver

Last Updated Aug 7, 2020 at 4:21 pm PDT

FILE - B.C. Lions quarterback Mike Reilly (13) is chased down by Edmonton Eskimos during second half CFL action in Edmonton, on June 21, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson.
Summary

The CFL requested earlier this week a $30-million, interest-free loan from Ottawa

Dr. Howard Njoo, Canada's deputy chief public health officer, is positive about the CFL's proposed measures

The league announced in late July that Winnipeg will be used as a hub for the entire shortened 2020 season

OTTAWA — The CFL received a huge boost Friday in its bid for federal funding in order to stage an abbreviated season cut short by COVID-19.

Health and safety protocols remain the biggest requirement in the league’s request earlier this week for a $30-million, interest-free loan from Ottawa.

Dr. Howard Njoo, Canada’s deputy chief public health officer, is positive about the CFL’s proposed measures and says the discussions are ongoing.

READ ALSO:

“What has been submitted to us, I think, is encouraging in that they are going with the similar kind of model that we had for the NHL in terms of a hub city and using sort of a tight quarantine-type bubble.,” he said. “There are still details to be worked out.”

The league announced in late July that Winnipeg will be used as a hub for a shortened 2020 season.