Loading articles...

Dozens more in self-isolation, 62 new cases of COVID-19 in B.C.

Last Updated Aug 26, 2020 at 4:08 pm PDT

FILE - Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry during a daily COVID-19 update on Aug. 24, 2020. (Courtesy Province of B.C./Flikr)
Summary

55 more people in B.C. are in self-isolation because of COVID-19 and 62 new cases were reported Wednesday

No new outbreaks or deaths were reported, but VCH warns of possible COVID-19 exposure

The recovery rate is up slightly to 79.2 per cent

VICTORIA (NEWS 1130) — British Columbians self-isolating after coming into contact with someone who has COVID-19 jumped by 55 Wednesday as the province announced 62 new cases of the virus.

In a joint statement, Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix reported 2,730 people are under public health monitoring.

The recovery rate improved slightly to 79.2 per cent now that 4,199 people who tested positive for the virus have recovered.


Dix and Henry said no new outbreaks have been detected in either health care or in the community. However, they noted exposures continue to happen in the community and on flights.

Outbreaks are ongoing in 10 long-term care or assisted-living facilities and two acute care facilities.

Vancouver Coastal Health announced possible COVID-19 exposure at Banter Room on Mainland Street between Aug. 20 and 22, during operating hours.


VCH said the risk is low, but anyone who was there on those days should self-monitor for symptoms.

Updated exposure events are listed on the B.C. Centre for Disease Control website.

No new deaths were recorded for a second straight day, so the total remains at 203.

Hospitalizations because of COVID-19 had been on the rise for several days, but there is one less person in hospital as of Wednesday. Seven of the 21 patients are in intensive care, while the rest are self-isolating at home.


Overall, 5,304 coronavirus infections have been confirmed in the province during the pandemic, while 896 cases are still active.

B.C.’s Ministry of Education gave an update earlier in the day on the back-to-school plan. Dix and Henry said it’s understandable many people are feeling more anxious about the virus when it comes to the well-being of their families.

“For parents in particular, there is the added challenge of navigating a new approach to in-class learning that includes a number of additional public health protocols and precautions,” they said.

RELATED: B.C. to get up to $242 million in federal funding to safely reopen schools

“School will be new for everyone this year – just as how we spend time with friends and how we operate our businesses has required a different way of doing things than we have ever done before.”

Since COVID-19 will be in the community for a while, Dix and Henry said it’s necessary to establish new routines for the school year.

-With files from Marcella Bernardo