VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) — A hazmat team was called out Sunday morning after vandals broke a thermometer, leading to the discovery of mercury inside the public washrooms in Stanley Park.
Park rangers found the mercury in the public washroom near Second Beach, as they were opening up the facilities.
Trevor Connelly is the Assistant Chief with Vancouver Fire adds says while there is not a large amount in the toilets, it’s still difficult to clean up.
“It’s very small droplets that have to be very meticulously cleaned up,” he explains.
Connelly notes there isn’t much concern for the public, noting it did not contaminate the groundwater.
“The danger comes when you have direct contact or if gets into the water.”
The washrooms were closed.