SURREY (NEWS 1130) — Five people in Surrey are lucky to be alive after they overdosed inside a home Saturday.
Just before 2 p.m. Surrey RCMP received a call about a suspected gas leak inside a home where five people were found unresponsive.
But, as it turns out this was not a gas leak at all. All five people had overdosed and Surrey RCMP believe a concentrated batch of drugs is to blame.
Upon arrival, paramedics needed to give each person upwards of four doses of naloxone, a nasal spray used to counter the effects of opioid overdose such as decreased breathing.
“Luckily the quick response of the Surrey Fire Department, BC Ambulance Service and the Surrey RCMP resulted in all parties being revived and then transported to local area hospital for further treatment,” a release from the Surrey RCMP reads.
In a statement, Mounties say they didn’t find any drugs at the address, but can confirm the five people did overdose from a concentrated batch.
Surrey RCMP are urging people never to take non-prescription drugs but if you do, it is important to not use them alone.
Mounties are also warning drug users to be careful with how much they use and encourage people to know how to use a naloxone kit.
“If you or someone else is thought to be overdosing please call 911 immediately for medical assistance,” the RCMP adds.
B.C. set a record with 177 illicit drug toxicity and fentanyl-detected drug deaths this past June, then had 175 more in July. August saw another 147 such deaths, a 16-per-cent decrease from the month prior, but a 71 per cent increase of the same month in 2019.
The BC Coroners Service has detected a sustained increase of illicit drug toxicity deaths since March, when the state of emergency was called in B.C. due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
B.C. has now recorded six consecutive months with over 100 illicit drug toxicity deaths.