Loading articles...

Transit Police 'disappointed' man found not guilty of attempted murder in officer shooting

Last Updated Oct 20, 2020 at 2:19 am PDT


Man who shot a Transit Police officer in 2019 found not guilty of attempted murder

Transit Police 'disappointed' Daon Glasgow convicted of aggravated assault, not attempted murder

Glasgow shot ffficer Josh Harms at the Scott Road SkyTrain station on Jan. 30, 2019

SURREY (NEWS 1130) – The man who shot a Transit Police officer in January 2019 has been found not guilty of attempted murder, and has instead been convicted of a lesser charge.

Daon Glasgow has been found guilty of aggravated assault, along with three other offences, but the conviction isn’t the result Metro Vancouver Transit Police officers were hoping for.

“It’s hard to imagine how someone can point a gun at a police officer, pull the trigger, and not be found guilty of attempted murder,” Transit Police Sgt. Clint Hampton says. “How this came to be an aggravated assault versus the attempted murder, I’m not fully sure how that happened. That’s most certainly something that as a department we would like to know.”

Metro Vancouver Transit Police has requested transcripts in order to try to understand the conviction further, according to Hampton.

“This is still in the court process, right? And like I said, I don’t know whether Crown plans to appeal or not, it’s something that I would like to know. But, just from kind of on the face of it here, we see the conviction of aggravated assault and that’s disappointing.”

In his ruling, Judge Peder Gulbransen says there was not enough evidence to prove “beyond a reasonable doubt” that Glasgow intended to kill Constable Josh Harms when he shot him.

“I therefore find him not guilty on Count 1, but pursuant to s. 662(1)(a) of the Criminal Code, I find him guilty of the included offfence (sic) of aggravated assault contrary to s. 268(2) of the Criminal Code,” the ruling reads.

Harms was shot at Scott Road SkyTrain Station on Jan. 30, 2019. He was seriously injured and was taken to Royal Columbian Hospital in New Westminster, where he underwent surgery.

After extensive rehabilitation, Harms returned to work in May of last year.

Glasgow was arrested in Burnaby less than a week after the shooting following a massive manhunt.

The date for sentencing is expected to be set in December.

-With files from Jonathan Szekeres