Loading articles...

Second wave of COVID-19 continues to batter Canada's most populous provinces

Last Updated Oct 22, 2020 at 9:24 am PST

FILE -- COVID-19 testing. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)
Summary

Quebec reported another quadruple-digit new COVID-19 case count Thursday and 20 additional deaths

Ontario is reporting 841 new cases of COVID-19, as another Toronto hospital declared an outbreak

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney said he tested negative for COVID-19

The second wave of COVID-19 continues to batter the country’s two most populous provinces.

Quebec reported another quadruple-digit new COVID-19 case count Thursday and 20 additional deaths. The province hardest-hit by the novel coronavirus recorded 1,033 new cases.

Five hundred and fifty-three people are in hospital in Quebec, including 101 in intensive care.

As well, a union is calling for the Olymel pork processing plant southeast of Quebec City to close after 40 workers tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

One worker died Wednesday after testing positive the day before, but Olymel says it’s unclear whether the worker’s death was caused by the novel coronavirus.

Outbreak at another Toronto Hospital

Meanwhile, Ontario is reporting 841 new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, as another Toronto hospital declared an outbreak.

Canada’s most populous province also recorded nine more deaths from the virus.

Two hundred and seventy people are in hospital, including 74 in intensive care and 48 on ventilators.

READ ALSO:

 

 

The Scarborough Health Network says six patients are infected in one unit at its general hospital in the city’s east end.

St. Michael’s Hospital, St. Joseph’s Health Centre, Toronto Western Hospital and the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health have also declared outbreaks among staff or patients.

Meanwhile in Quebec, a union is calling for the Olymel pork processing plant southeast of Quebec City to close after 40 workers tested positive for the novel coronavirus

One worker died Wednesday after testing positive the day before, but Olymel says it’s unclear whether the worker’s death was caused by the novel coronavirus.

Alberta premier tests negative

In Alberta, Premier Jason Kenney said late Wednesday that he had tested negative for COVID-19, but will continue to isolate at home for another week.

Kenney was tested Wednesday afternoon because he attended events with Municipal Affairs Minister Tracy Allard, who has contracted COVID-19, last week.

In B.C., a daily COVID-19 case record was set Wednesday with 203, while more than 160 people from a Kelowna school are in isolation after three tested positive for the coronavirus.

Earlier this week, Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry declared a second wave of the pandemic in B.C.