HOPE (NEWS 1130) – The search for a missing 25-year-old hiker from Newfoundland is back on, close to two weeks after he headed out for a solo trip to Manning Park.
Princeton Ground Search & Rescue Society says it’s been “re-activated by the Vancouver Police Department to resume the search” for Jordan Naterer.
A small team from North Shore Rescue is also headed to the park to assist in the search, NSR has confirmed.
.@NSRescue & @PrincetonGSAR resuming search for Jordan Naterer at Manning Park. The 25-year-old UBC graduate was last seen hiking alone on Oct. 10 + search was suspended on Sunday. Family and volunteers have continued looking for him while asking search be reactivated. @NEWS1130 pic.twitter.com/cDieCN8NcK
— Monika Gul (@MonikaGul) October 22, 2020
Jordan was last seen on Oct. 10 as he was embarking on his hike. He was reported missing a few days later on Oct. 13 when he did not show up to a Thanksgiving gathering with friends.
“We’re just running out of time,” Josie, Jordan’s mother, told NEWS 1130 on Thursday. “We just feel we’re running out of time. Fourteen days of these temperatures is what’s really grasping at us right now, and we need to find him as soon as possible”
His family has been vocal about their push to have the search resume for their son. His parents flew to Vancouver from Newfoundland last week.
“We feel so blessed for the life that he started here, and we want him to come home to us so that he can see how valued he is, not just in this community, but in so many communities across Canada,” Josie said.
Jordan’s father, Greg, said his family and friends have taken a step back to allow authorities to conduct their search.
Josie and Greg told NEWS 1130 they were not notified about plans to restart the search on Thursday. However, it’s giving them hope to know crews will be looking again
The VPD has also said that due to a “safe weather window,” it’s tentatively re-searching specific areas with a drone on Thursday.
Josie admitted this week has been “up and down.”
“No stone is going to be left unturned,” she said. “If something is found that can be connected to Jordan from this year or last year, or the year before that he had in his possession, we’re going to consider it as evidence and pursue a search in that area.”
The mother had recently flown to Vancouver to help her son move after he graduated from a master’s program at UBC.
“He’s a very promising young man starting his life,” Josie said of her son, adding his new employer has been supportive in the search for Jordan.
“We want him to come home to us,” she said through tears.
As temperatures drop, Greg has called for more air support to help search for his son. He’s also called for help from the U.S. as the area his son has gone missing in is along the border.
“I’m hopeful that JRCC-Victoria can step up and the RCMP could please allow us to get access to their air assets and the Department of National Defence. Time is of the essence,” he said.
Prime minister offers his support
The prime minister has offered words of support to Jordan’s family, saying he’ll look into the matter.
“I will see what the decision have been made. There’s limited leverage I have, even as prime minister, over a local issue and a local search like that,” Justin Trudeau said Wednesday, when asked if there was anything he could do.
Speaking at a virtual townhall for Memorial University in St. John’s, where Jordan’s father is a dean, Trudeau drew on his own experience to connect with Jordan’s family.
“I can’t personally hear that story and not think about my little brother who was lost almost 25 years ago in beautiful mountains in B.C., and the efforts that went into trying to find him, and how I felt when the search was called off,” Trudeau said.
The search for Jordan was suspended on Sunday, Oct. 18, after his parents said there was no new clues or evidence of where he could be was found.