Loading articles...

SPCA warns of toxic substance in Chilliwack parks after 4 dogs get sick

Last Updated Nov 20, 2020 at 2:14 pm PDT

(iStock Photo)

BC SPCA warns pet owners now that four dogs got sick after eating an unknown toxic substance in Chilliwack parks

None of the poisoned dogs have died, but have suffered from flu-like symptoms

The SPCA will be sending out patrols in the area

CHILLIWACK (NEWS 1130) — Four dogs have become sick after eating some kind of toxic substance in Chilliwack parks, leading to a warning from the BC SPCA.

The dogs experienced flu-like symptoms, but it isn’t clear what they ate, according to the SPCA. Reports suggest it was dog food with some kind of white powdered substance on it that was left along the River’s Edge area — a popular place to walk dogs.

The SPCA’s Eileen Drever says while similar incidents aren’t common, the organization is still shocked this appears to be happening, and urges dog owners to be on the lookout for suspicious-looking substances.

“Animals can’t protect themselves, they’re helpless. We obviously want to be a voice for the animals and we need all dog owners to be wary when walking their dogs in these areas,” she says.

“Other animals are going to be affected by this too. It’s pretty bad and it’s quite serious. This is an offence under the Criminal Code of Canada.”

The SPCA will be sending patrols to the area and putting about notices to warn dog owners. Anyone with information is asked to call the SPCA call centre at 1-855-622-7722 or the Chilliwack RCMP non-emergency line at 604-792-4611.

“Make sure you’re walking your dog on a leash and do not allow them to ingest anything,” Drever says.

If a pet does become sick, take them to a vet immediately, she adds.