Loading articles...

TransLink's free New Year's Eve trips suspended due to COVID-19

Last Updated Dec 16, 2020 at 7:36 pm PST

(Photo credit: Dustin Godfrey for NEWS 1130)
Summary

You won't be able to travel for free on TransLink this New Year's Eve

The authority says offering free travel wouldn't be in line with the province's restrictions on gatherings and events

This year it'll be operating on a normal weekday service schedule, and won't be extending its hours as it does

NEW WESTMINSTER (NEWS 1130) — Since it’s ideal we stay home – thanks to the pandemic – TransLink says it will not be offering free trips on New Year’s Eve this year.

In a release Wednesday, TransLink says offering free traditional service would be “inconsistent with provincial public health orders.”

“We want to encourage everyone to celebrate safely this holiday season and follow the orders put in place by the Provincial Health Officer,” TransLink CEO Kevin Desmond says. “We all have a responsibility this year to keep our communities safe and we look forward to resuming free transit on New Year’s Eve in 2021.”

TransLink also won’t be running extended hours and will operate on normal weekday service schedules.

In other years, the transport authority would offer free trips on SkyTrain, SeaBus and buses starting around 5:00 p.m. on Dec. 31. The extended service would run until 5 a.m. on New Year’s Day.

RELATED: TransLink to run extended hours on NYE

Before the COVID-19 pandemic hit, the perk had been offered annually for 44 years.